A trip to the top of Mount Fløyen is required for all visitors to Bergen. It's the closest of the 7-mountains to the city center, and you can be whisked to the top with Fløibanen, or reach the summit on foot.
The view from the plateau next to the highest station on the Fløibanen funicular is spectacular and one of the top five tourist destinations in Norway. Here you can also find a small store selling coffee, chocolate, ice cream, and gifts; a snack bar; a restaurant; and a playground. The stop at Fløibanen funicular is located 320 meters above sea level, but the top of Mount Fløyen, a bit to the east, is at 399 meters.
How to get there
The three main paths from the city centre are Fløysvingene, Tippetue and Kamveien.
- If you start from the Fish Market, walk past the lowest station of Fløibanen, by the old fire station at Skansen. and up to Fjellveien. Here you can choose between the three different paths.
- Tippetue is the steepest of the three routes, and is popular for sledding in the winter. Cycling is only permitted on Kamveien. Depending on the path you choose, the time estimate from the city center is from 30 to 60 minutes.
- If you need to use public transit to get into the city centre, you can search for the best transit options for you on the Skyss Travel Planner
- If you start from Bryggen, the trail is about 6.3 km.
- If you are looking for suggestions for other routes for your adventure to Fløyen, check UT.no's interactive map to search for more options. In order to limit searches to hiking trips, select "fotturer" only. You will also have to zoom in on Bergen in order to search for options. Keep in mind that UT.no is only available in Norwegian so keep Google translate handy if needed.
Hiking opportunities from Fløyen
From Fløyen, there are endless hiking opportunities. Only 5-10 minutes from the Fløibanen station you can find Skomakerdiket lake which features picnic areas and swimming opportunities. In less than an hour you can reach two other mountain tops; Rundemanen and Blåmanen. If you’re up for a real challenge, take the Vidden trail to Ulriken.