Lyderhorn (396 meters) is the westernmost of Bergen’s seven mountains. The mountain can be reached from different directions, and at the top you will have a glorious view of the sea and the islands to the west.
According to folklore, Lyderhorn was the place where witches gathered. Perhaps you will see some on the moutainside. The hike has a trail the entire way and can be up to ~2.5 km round trip. It is estimated to take about 2 hours to hike and the elevation gained is around 300 metres. You can read more about hiking Lyderhorn here. On your visit, you may also want to take the time to visit Kvarven, a military fort, located north of Lyderhorn. Kvarven was strategically important fort during WWII. Now Kvarven is part of a recreational area and is an open air war memorial.
How to get there
Lyderhorn is the mountain furthest away from the city center, and it is therefore best to take a bus from the city center. You can search for the best transit options for you on the Skyss Travel Planner. Below are some options for bus routes from the city centre depending on where you plan to start the hike:
Starting the hike from Gravdal/Laksevåg (North-East)
- Take bus number 17 from the city centre (Olav Kyrres Gate, between Galeriet and Exhibition) to the end stop at Gravdal. Follow the road to the NUTEC-institute, pass through the short tunnel, and continue on the gravel road. The hike is easy at the start, and steeper near the top.
Starting the hike from Loddefjord/Kjøkkelvik (West)
- Take bus number 5 or 6 from Olav Kyrres Gate to the terminal at Loddefjord. From the terminal there is a 15 minute walk before you get to the hiking trail: follow the road north, walk by Kjøkkelvik school and go up Lyderhornslien. The trail to Lyderhorn is signposted. This is the steepest and shortest trail to Lyderhorn.
- If you plan to start the hike from Gravdal, you may wish to use this route, 2.6 km.
- If you plan to start the hike from Kjøkkelvik, you may wish to use this route, 1 km. This website, UT.no, is only available in English so take a look at the map and keep Google translate handy if needed.
- If you are looking for suggestions for other routes for your adventure to Lyderhorn, use UT.no's interactive map to search for more options. In order to limit searches to hiking trips, select "fotturer" only. You will also have to zoom in on Bergen in order to search for possible routes.
- If you plan to visit Kvarven, here are walking instructions from near where the bus will drop you off at the Gravdal stop, 1.6 km.
Please be familiar with safe hiking practices while in Norway. If you are new to hiking, make sure to go with experienced hikers or join an a group that offers experienced tour leaders, such as BSI. For more information about hikes in the Bergen area, you may also wish to explore the Hiking around Bergen, Norway Facebook page.