Regulations on part-time work

Information related to regulations on part-time work in Norway.

If you are granted a study permit in Norway, you are automatically also granted permission to work part-time for up to 20 hours per week.

  • You can also work full-time during holidays. 
  • You can apply for a permit to work full-time for parts of the academic year if the work is relevant to your studies. 
  • You have to request this in writing when you apply, or later. 
  • Remember that you can lose your permit if you work more than your permit entitles you to.

The permit is not specified with respect to the type of employment and you are allowed to have several employers. You don´t need to document that you have a contract. When you apply for a renewal of your student permit, the part-time work permit is not automatically renewed. In order to get it renewed, you need to enclose a statement from your education provider stating whether work will inhibit the progress of your studies.

EU/EEA/EFTA nationals have the right to take up to 50% employment. Any accompanying family member is granted a general permit for employment.

Additional information from SAMMEN Career & Counselling

  • If you are planning to stay in Norway for more than 6 months, you will be given a personal identification number (fødselsnummer in Norwegian) by the Norwegian Tax Administration. Show up in person at your local tax office (Skatteetaten) where they will register you as a resident in Norway.
  • If your stay is shorter than 6 months, you will be given a D-number. 
  • Once you have received your ID-number, you can open a bank account. Meanwhile you can apply for jobs.
  • When you receive a job offer, the next step is to apply for a tax card (tax deduction card) from the Norwegian Tax Administration. When you receive it, your employer can electronically obtain your tax card or tax exemption card from the Tax Administration.
  • Tax excemption card: apply for this card if you will not earn more than 60 000 NOK per year (information updated 2021).

Follow these steps in the right order. Do not start the process of opening a bank account and applying for a tax card at the same time. You will then end up with two ID-numbers!

You may also wish to contact Sammen Career Center for an appointment if you want additional help.

Read more

Norwegian Tax Administration: For information about getting a tax card, checking/submitting tax returns, etc.

Norwegian Directorate of Immigration: For information about your student permit's rights and obligations, including permission to work.

You might also want to read:

Job seeking resources

The following resources may be helpful during your job search.

Searching work in Bergen

Interested in applying your cultural competencies within an international Norwegian company?
?src=320w&res=1x 1x , 1x , 2x " media="(max-width: 320px)"> ?src=480w&res=1x 1x , 1x , 2x " media="(max-width: 480px)"> ?src=768w&res=1x 1x , 1x , 2x " media="(max-width: 768px)"> ?src=992w&res=1x 1x , 1x , 2x " media="(max-width: 992px)"> ?src=1200w&res=1x 1x , 1x , 2x " media="(max-width: 1200px)"> ?src=1440w&res=1x 1x , 1x , 2x " media="(max-width: 1440px)"> ?src=1920w&res=1x 1x , 1x , 2x " media="(max-width: 1920px)"> " alt="" title="" style="" />

Culture and jobs

This page offers guidance regarding Norwegian culture and searching for a job as an international student in Norway.