Requirements for international students

There are some actions that are manditory for the majority of international students studying in Norway, including registering with the police. 

Registering with Norwegian Authorities

Depending on what country you are from, your requirements may vary. However, everyone is required to register with the Norwegian Authorities in some way except:

  • Students staying less than 3 months
  • Citizens of Nordic countries staying less than 6 months. 

If you are staying in Norway for more than 3 months (or 6 months if you are from a Nordic country), click on the link relevant to your citizenship below for more information about registering with Norwegian authorities.

Norwegian ID Number

For many central transactions in Norwegian society you are required to have a Norwegian identification number. It is necessary for, among other things, working, opening a bank account, obtaining a student card or library card, and applying for a loan from the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund.

There are two types of Norwegian ID, a Norwegian national identity number (or "personnummer") or a D-number (dummy number). Genereally, people staying in Norway 6 months or more, will be assigned a personnummer, those staying for less than 6 months will be assigned a D-number. Read more about Norwegian ID numbers at the website of Skatteetaten (the Tax Office).

Tuberculosis testing

Students who will stay in Norway more than 3 months who been residing in countries with a high occurance of tuberculosis (TB) are required to have TB testing at Betanien Hospital. Students from exempted countries will be required to have TB testing if they will be working within health care.

Read more about mandatory TB testing here.