Damsgårdsfjellet is located to the west of the city center and is the lowest of the seven mountains. From the top you will have a nice view of the city, the city fjord, and the district of Fyllingsdalen.
Damsgårdfjellet is considered an easy and low-elevation trekk. Some people claim Damsgårdfjellet is not a mountain in its own right, but exploring it can still be an adventure. A hike up Damsgårdsfjellet can start both from the west and the east. With a height of only 317 meters, this "mountain" is one of the easier hikes in Bergen, although there is another top point at the mountain to the south ranging 354 meters above sea level. More information about Damsgårdsfjellet can be found here.
How to get there
You can search for the best transit options to the trailheads on the Skyss Travel Planner or take a look at our transportation guide. Below are some options from the city centre depending on where you plan to start the hike:
- The shortest hike is from Melkeplassen. From Olav Kyrres Gate, between Galleriet and Exhibition, take bus number 19, that is marked towards Løvstakkskifteet, and get off at the Melkeplassen stop.
- You can also walk to Melkeplassen from the city centre in about 45-50 minutes via the Puddefjorden bridge by walking north towards Damsgård, and then up the hill to the south-west. There are signs for the hike starting around the football field. Here is a map showing the walking route from Byparken to the football field.
- You can also take bus 16 or 17 from Olav Kyrres Gate and get out at the 'Damsgård hovegård' stop. Take a look at this map to get an idea of where to start hiking after getting out of the bus (scroll down to Damsgårdfjellet).
- Route starting near 'Damsgård hovegård', 4.8 km.
- Route starting near Melkeplassen, .5 km as shown, but longer from Melkeplassen.
- Many hikes in Bergen have multiple options for routing, take a look at UT.no's interactive map to search for more options. UT.no is only available in Norwegian so keep Google translate handy. In order to limit searches to hiking trips, select "fotturer" only. You will also have to zoom in on Bergen in order to search for routes.
Please be familiar with safe hiking practices while in Norway. If you are new to hiking, make sure to go with experienced hikers or join an a group that offers experienced tour leaders, such as BSI. For more information about hikes in the Bergen area, you may also wish to explore the Hiking around Bergen, Norway Facebook page.